Monday, August 25, 2008

Worth the Wait

Four years ago my husband and I were married on July 30, 2004. I was still in college working on my teaching degree. I went to my OB in December 2005 and he told me I would have trouble getting pregnant (I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome(PCOS) and that when we were ready to start trying to make an appointment so that he could start me on clomid. I took clomid for 6 months. The OB did a HSG test. The results of the test were that I had 2 blocked tubes. I was sent to a specialist. The doctor did a laparoscopy surgery. Thankful he was able to unblock both tubes. We tried clomid and all I did was produce a lot of cyst. We went through month after month of infertility medications, until our last option was in-vitro fertilization. My husband and I was very excited to start the whole process. I had my egg transfer on my husbands birthday!!!! I just knew that was a good sign. Waiting two weeks to find out if I was pregnant or not was so hard. I had tested the day before I was to go to the doctor for blood work. The pregnancy test had a VERY LINE second line. I was shaking and woke up my husband. I made him look at the test. He said he saw it. I went to work, but I told him to go to the store and get a test that says PREGNANT/NOT PREGNANT. That day at work was so long. When I got home I tested and sure enough it said PREGNANT!!! That was the best feeling in the world.

Three weeks later we had our first ultrasound. We didn’t care how many were there, just as long as a baby was there growing. Then the ultrasound tech said it was TWINS!!!!! It was amazing to see our little beans on the screen. We had an ultrasound every week until I was 10 weeks. At 10 weeks I was sent back to my OB. I had an ultrasound every month. Both babies were growing at the same pace. I had an amazing pregnancy. At 15 weeks and 5 days, we found out Baby B was a BOY and Baby A the doctor guess a BOY (later confirmed he was a boy). At 24 weeks, I noticed I was having a lot hardening of my belly. I went to the doctor and he said I had an irritated uterus (my uterus was thinking I was 35 weeks because of the twins). He took me out of work and was on modified bedrest. At 28 weeks, we went to Labor and Delivery. I was having contractions and was 1 cm dilated. The doctor put me on medication and the contractions finally stopped. I was sent home on strict bedrest. During my 29th week of pregnancy I went back to labor and delivery 2 more times.

On Thursday, March 13, 2008, I went to labor and delivery again. But this time the doctor could not stop my contractions. My doctor called a hospital that had a Level 3 NICU. On Friday night I was given my first shot of steroids to help develop the babies lungs. I was then taken to Oshner in New Orleans by ambulance. We meet with a high-risk doctor. He told us I would be lucky to keep these babies in for 2 more weeks and I will be in the hosptail until I delivered. Throughout the night and the next morning the contractions had slowed up. My husband left the hospital to go to work that night. My dad stayed with me at the hospital. At 4:00 pm I received my second steroid shot. Around 5:00 pm, everything changed. I started having stronger contractions. The doctor checked me and I was 4 to 5 cm dilated. I was in LABOR. I was so scared. I had the nurse call my husband to leave work and get to the hospital. I was given my epidural. The epidural slowed everything up. I was in labor all night. Sunday, March 16, 2008 around 7:00am in the morning the doctor came in and said they would induce me the rest of the way. I was exactly 30 weeks pregnant. At 12:00 pm I was wheeled into the delivery room. Within 2 pushes, Wesley Michael was born at 12:05 pm weighing 3 pounds 9 ounces and 16 inches long and within 3 pushes Timmie Joseph was born at 12:12 pm weighing 3 pounds 9 ounces and 16.5 inches long. Both boys were doing great. They were both taken to the NICU. Timmie was put on a ventilator for 12 hours and Wesley was on room air the whole time. Thankfully the boys just needed to maintain their own body temperature, gain weight, and feed from a bottle.
We lived 45 minutes away from the hospital and we visited the boys twice a day. Wesley came home on April 14 (only 4 week in the NICU). He weighed under 5 pounds when he came home. Timmie came home April 19 (only 5 weeks in the NICU). He was also under 5 pounds. It was the hardest thing in the word going home without your children. The first night I got home from the hospital I cried the whole night. Now that the boys are home it the GREATEST thing in the WORLD!!!!! The boys are 5 months old and are both healthy and full of energy.

Holly and Timmie

No comments: