Monday, August 25, 2008

The Path From 1 to 3


I married my husband, Brian, in September 2005. We were high-school sweethearts, we started dating our senior year. 9 months after our wedding, we welcomed our absolutely amazing beautiful baby girl, Layla Rain. I realized then that life will never be the same again (and in a great way!) the minute you lay eyes on your child. Everything in the world is more enjoyable once you have a child. To see everything through their eyes is fantastic.

After one wonderful year with her, we decided to start trying for another baby. She was a great baby and we thought it would be a good time to bring another little one into our lives to give her a little playmate!

Almost exactly 2 years after my first positive pregnancy test (September 28th, 2005), I took a pregnancy test (September 27th 2007) and it practically turned positive the minute I peed on it! And this was 3 days before my period was even due. It was then I started to think things might be different this time.

At about 4 weeks pregnant exactly, I started throwing up and a LOT. When I ate, I threw up. When I didn’t eat, I threw up. When I thought about food, I threw up. It was horrid! The week before my first appointment, around 8 weeks, I told my friends and family that I was having twins. They giggled and thought it was funny, nobody took me too seriously.

At my appointment, I was laying on the table with my husband and daughter watching the screen. The doctor said “I see the heartbeat. And there I see the heartbeat”. Although I expected it, my heart stopped and I actually smacked the doctor and said “Are you serious???”. Wow! 2 babies! Their due date was June 8th, 6 days before my daughter’s 2nd birthday. I came out of the appointment and called my mom who sarcastically said “So how are the twins?”. To which I responded “Mom, it is twins!!” You can imagine the silence I heard on the line! Soon enough everyone knew and everyone laughed and laughed. I guess that’s what you do when you hear news that is somewhat shocking!

Although of course we were nervous, we were so excited. I mean, 3 babies under the age of 2 is a lot of kids! People think 2 under 2 is lot and I was going to have an extra one!

The pregnancy progressed as one could expect with twins. It was difficult, more difficult than I could ever imagine. Not only did I have 2 in my belly, but I had 1 running around who needed all my attention. People say the 2nd trimester is the easiest, you don’t feel sick anymore and you get your energy back. Nope, not here. I threw up from weeks 4-20. Then again from 26 on! And I was so darn tired. But I trudged through, knowing that it would be over soon and I’d have my beautiful babes.

At week 30, I was put on full bedrest due to the fact that I would start having contractions even stopping for quick errands. Walking would be too much for me.

At 34 weeks, 1 day (and 45 inches around!) I called the OB to ask to come in early for my appointment because I had been having pretty rough contractions over the morning. I didn’t think too much of it because I was always having contractions. The OB sent me right to the hospital, where I continued having contractions. When I got checked, I was 4 cm dilated and we realized there was no turning back. After roughly 11 hours at the hospital, I got up the use the bathroom and when I came back, Baby B’s heartbeat dropped and then spiked but never leveled out. So by about 15 minutes later, I was in the OR for an emergency C-section.

At 12:35, Corbin Blake (5 lbs. 1 oz.) entered the world. They rushed him quickly out of the room, I didn’t even see him. At 12:36, Spencer Lennon (4 lbs. 12 oz.) was born with his cord wrapped twice around his neck. I actually saw him for a quick moment. After getting sewn up I was wheeled back to my room and didn’t see the boys again for 4 hours after their birth. It was the first time I’d even seen Corbin!

Soon enough, I was told that Spencer may have to go to the Children’s Hospital in Cleveland to get additional help with his breathing. 9 hours after his birth, I was told to go talk to him, explaining to him that things would be OK. My baby wasn’t even due for 6 more weeks and I had to go say goodbye. I couldn’t even hold him, I had to just touch his hand. The pain in my heart was amazing. They took him away and I didn’t see him for 48 hours. The next few days went well for the boys. After a day, I finally got to hold Corbin and after 2 days Spencer came back and I could hold him too. Within a few days, Spencer had a very low white blood count and we had to wear gloves and masks to even touch him. It seemed that every time you turned around, there was something else to worry about! Luckily within a day or two, the levels bounced up and he got to be in his “big boy bed” where his brother went to the day before.

After 9 days, we took Corbin home. What a wonderful feeling! And how scary to bring home a child who isn’t due to be born for 5 more weeks and weighs less than 5 pounds! A teeny little peanut! The day after, we brought Spence home too. Our family was home!
As I write this, the boys are almost 4 months old. And it has been the most amazing 4 months of our lives. The boys started out swimming in preemie clothes and they now fill out their 0-3 clothes nicely! They started out ~5 pounds and now are both topping 12! They hold up their heads and are moving right ahead. They giggle and smile and it just melts your heart! Layla loves them to bits and has been a wonderful big sister. Our family of 5 is crazy busy, but we’re all crazy in love and can’t wait for the next chapters!

I love my 3 beautiful children and I am so grateful I had the chance to have these boys. Although it was frightening, the experiences I went through teach you not to take a thing in this life for granted. As you watch your baby boy get taken away from you with more tubes coming out of him than you can count, you know what’s important.

If I could go back, would I do it all again? Absolutely. These 3 beautiful children are mine for a reason and I’m going to spend my whole life trying to make them feel as lucky as I do.

No comments: