Friday, August 22, 2008

Dreams really do come true (times 2)!!

To say that I am neurotic and Type A is an understatement. Everything I do has been planned, researched, thought out. It seems nothing in my life happens by chance or on a whim, however, that has all changed....
I met my husband my Freshman year of high school. We were high school sweethearts and were married in January of 2003. We had always planned on having two children, but first we had much we wanted to accomplish. I finished my doctorate degree, my husband graduated with his degree in Architecture. We had good jobs, two cars, and a brand new house. We had accomplished all of these goals to ready ourselves for our ultimate dream of becoming parents. I had planned everything out and was sure that I had everything lined up so that we would be "ready" to be parents. I had planned for everything, except the unexpected. We were both relatively young when we started trying to start our family (27 years old). I always feared that we would have difficulty getting pregnant, and my biggest fears were realized when after a year there was still no baby. We had every test, were poked, prodded, analyzed, I had surgery, and when it was all said and done my diagnosis was stage II-III endometriosis. We tried three rounds of in utero insemination, but still I was not pregnant. I was crushed, confused, frustrated, angry, jealous, hurt, and depressed. Why couldn't I accomplish the one thing in my life that was most important. Why couldn't I become a mother. We eventually decided to proceed with in vitro and on our first round we were blessed with two little miracles. I still remember the first ultrasound seeing those two little sacs, and I fell completely in love. While my husband and I were scared and intimidated at the thought of having two babies, we were also thrilled as we literally got "two for the price of one"!
I had a somewhat complicated pregnancy. I began having frequent contractions at 19 weeks. I was put on modified bedrest due to the contractions at 24 weeks and was put on strict bedrest at 28 weeks in order to stop pre term labor. It was a stressful pregnancy, every day fearing that something could go wrong. Luckily, the bedrest helped, and although I developed pre-eclampsia I was able to carry my boys until 34 weeks when my water broke.
My boys were big for being six weeks early (5lbs 12oz and 5lbs 3 oz). They only spent 3 days in the NICU, and then were sent home with us.














While I once cursed infertility on a daily basis, now I am thankful for it. There is not a day that I don't wake up and think, thank God for all that I went through because it brought me these two little boys.
Having twins is more work than I could have ever imagined, it is more than worth it. To have the opportunity to have two gorgeous little babies smiling up at you is unbelievable, and I feel like the luckiest woman in the world. I cannot put into words how much I love my two little boys, but I can say that dreams really do come true, and for us, it was times two!!














During the scary and exciting process of being pregnant with multiples, bringing them into the world, and now raising them, the advice and support of this message board has been invaluable. I have never been involved with so many women who are there for no other reason than to support and help one another, and most importantly to do so without judgment.

No comments: