Friday, August 22, 2008

Our Growing Family

“Looks like we have two in there.” Those seven words changed my world forever on February 4th, 2008.

Like many newly pregnant couples, my husband and I were thrilled to be sitting at our first OB appointment. We had prepared questions for the doctor, bought a few pregnancy books and were ready to see the new little life that was to one day be a member of our family. However, when we were called back into the ultrasound room and saw those two heartbeats on the screen, time stood still. We forgot all of our questions and stuttered our way through the next hour of exams and meetings. The shock was so overwhelming that we couldn't laugh or cry or even think straight. Over the next few days, our shock turned into worry. Will we have a healthy pregnancy? Will we have healthy babies? How can we afford two babies at once? How will our relationship change? Will we ever sleep again?

While I have run into a few complications throughout this pregnancy, I wouldn't change it for the world. I would have twins a million more times just to see the look on my husband's face when we're laying down at night and he can feel which is baby A and which is baby B moving and kicking. His look of joy and pride makes me fall more in love with him every night. More than anything, I am looking forward to the day that he too can hold them and give them the love that I've been giving them during this pregnancy.

Over the last seven months, the shock and worry has settled down and we are as prepared as we'll ever be for this next chapter of our lives. We bought new books on multiples and have taken multiples classes, but one place I turn to daily not only for advice, but also support and encouragement is the Multiples Board on thenestbaby.com. I am inspired by the 'supermoms' who have 'been there and done that' and are willing to share their experiences. This message board has become a sounding board, an advice column and most importantly, a second family to me. I cannot imagine where I would be if it weren't for the friendship and support I have found from this amazing group of women.

doublewhammy

No comments: