Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Support of Strangers

After trying unsuccessfully for over 3 years to get pregnant we were told IVF was our only option. We found a wonderful clinic (Oregon Reproductive Medicine) in Portland, Oregon (almost 3 hours away from where we live). With their help we started the IVF process in April of 2008. Through my three years of trying and my IVF cycle I found great support on the Trouble Trying to Conceive board on www.thenestbaby.com. There were so many woman, just like me. Whenever I had a question, no matter what time of day I would post and get answers within minutes! The girls were so supportive and encouraging.

Our IVF cycle went perfectly. We ended up with 10 nearly perfect embryos, we decided to put two in and freeze the rest. On May 8th I had my first beta test, I was pregnant! I celebrated Mother's Day with my Mom, I was so excited because I was pregnant but so nervous because I had heard so many stories of miscarriage. On May 12th I went back in for my second beta. I'll never forget my call with Brandi (my nurse from Oregon Reproductive Medicine) she said "you are pregnant and your number is really good!" She told me what the number was and I said wow, that is high and she said "yes, it is." I said is that like twins high? And she said "yes, it could very well be twins." My husband and I were on cloud nine! As soon as I got home from work I posted my good news on the Trouble Trying to Conceive board AND the Success After Infertility board, I was finally pregnant!

In On Memorial Day 2008 my husband and I went for our first ultrasound. They tried the external ultrasound on my stomach first, there were very clearly TWO sacs. My husband says, "it's twins" and immediately pulls out his cell phone to start texting everyone we know. I told him to wait until we see the heartbeats (I'm a skeptic). As soon as the ultrasound tech inserted the trans-vaginal ultrasound wand we immediately saw two very small hearts beating away. We were indeed having twins! As soon as I got home that afternoon I posted on the Multiples board that I was pregnant with twins!

I am now 20 weeks pregnant with a boy and a girl. It still feels like a dream come true. I do have good days and bad, but one thing that has remained a constant source of support through my entire pregnancy is the Multiples board on The Nest Baby. We support each other through the hard days, the weeks of bedrest, the loss, through the milestones and all of the good and exciting things about having twins. We may not always agree on issues but we are always respectful in our disagreements. Although I have never met any of these girls, I feel like they are indeed friends!

No comments: