Friday, August 22, 2008

Double Trouble




Double Trouble. That's what everyone says when they see you trying to get 2 toddlers to sit down in a restaurant, or push a grocery cart and a huge double stroller at the same time. I smile and say "Yes" and honestly, sometimes I agree. The logistics of twins is not easy. For me, this is the hardest part of having twins. It is such a blessing, yet I will be honest when I say that I do get jealous of people with one baby. Everything becomes a chore....even the most simple of tasks. Some twin moms get offended when people say "I would never want twins." I get that. Yet I also understand the irritation felt when people say "I always wanted twins..."...they have no clue what it is "really" like.
I had a very easy, non-complicated pregnancy. Dillon and Ryan were born just past 38 weeks and weighed in at 5 lbs 9 oz, and 7 lbs, 5 oz. They were very mellow sweet babies and now, at almost 2, they are still very good for the most part. Having said that, when you have 2 toddlers (the same age), even the best babies in the world can make it difficult at times.
Yes, they can be double trouble. No, they are not identical. Yes, they are twins. No, I did not have IVF. Yes, twins run in my family. Imagine having to go through this every time you step out the door...at least 10x. It's like a sideshow. It can be fun at first. It can also be irritating. I will say that for the most part, I love to see the joy that twins bring out in people. Even though they seem to be a dime a dozen and the new "trend", people still get excited and happy to see you coming their way. This makes me smile. It's nice to see the good that babies bring out in most everyone.
Twins. I would not change it for the world. I think that people do not stop and think about what it "really" means though. I admit that until I had twins myself, if I were to see a mom pushing twins through the store, I'd smile and think "oh how adorable'. Now I realize how much time and effort it actually takes just to get out the door. How it would be easier to just stay home...how trapped you can feel at times. I also realize that 2 fills your heart with so much love, it hurts. I look at my boys and see them playing together and love that they only know a world where the other one exists. I love they have each other. I love that I was chosen to experience what is one of life's greatest miracles. I love having twins.

No comments: