Monday, August 25, 2008

Um, wait... what?

My husband and I are some of the luckiest people alive.   We got married in August 2007 and by April 2008 we had decided it was time to start trying for a baby.  We figured it would take a few months so maybe we would get have some good news for our first anniversary.  Well,  we got pregnant immediately....  it was a little ridiculous actually.  We were thrilled.  A few weeks later, when I was about 7 weeks pregnant, my doctor did an ultrasound.  Since the ultrasound screen was full of incomprehensible smudges, I spent most of my time watching the doctor as he deciphered what he saw.  His face did a couple of funny contortions and, after the scan was done, we found out why.  The doctor pulled us into his office and as we sat down he said, "I'm going to ask you a funny question, but do twins run in your family?"  My husband and I looked at each other, looked back at the doctor and I guess our faces said it all: "Um, wait... what?".

It was confirmed at my next ultrasound when there were two little sacs and two little heartbeats.  The last four months have been unbelievable, full of excitement and terror, anticipation and anxiety. I guess we should get used to it because, come January, we'll be parents to two little bundles of joy!  We can't wait!

No comments: