Friday, August 22, 2008

Double Duty Mom

My title says it all...I have taken on the role of two moms at once when I entered the world of twins. At times it is overwhelming and at other times it's the most rewarding job of all.

"It looks like twins!" is what the doctor said when we went for my first prenatal appointment. At this point we were so happy to be pregnant (after 15 cycles trying) that we didn't know what was in store for us. Finding out it was twins was a total surprise for us as they do not run in my family. We were excited and yet naive at the same time. I didn't know exactly what it entailed taking care of one baby let alone two! We really had no idea the amount of work involved.

My pregnancy had some complications. At 26 weeks I was put on hospital bedrest and scared out of my mind. My daughter's umbilical cord had a bloodflow restriction so she was not receiving the nutrients she needed to grow. I was given steroid shots and basically on bedrest until I went into preterm labor at 30 weeks. They spent 6 and 7 weeks in the NICU with many ups and downs in the beginning of their lives. I am happy to say they are thriving today and doing well!

This multiples group has been a great source of support for me as my husband and I try to navigate the parenting of multiples. I am so glad it exists!!

No comments: