Monday, August 25, 2008

A Dream Becomes Reality





It all started 5 years ago, my husband and I lived together for 4 years and everything was perfect. In December 2006 my husband got in a tragic dirt bike accident which left him paralyzed from the chest down. The doctors were not convinced he would ever walk again let alone be able to use his hands. He stunned doctors when he has complete hand movement and when he took his first steps 6 months after the accident. Even though he uses his wheelchair most of the time we have a healthy active lifestyle.

The accident brought are relationship to a whole new level and in November 2007 my husband proposed to me in Maui, HI and we married in May 2008. We knew from the first time that we met that family was a important part of our lives and it would be a dream to start a family of our own.

When we first learned of my husbands accident we were convinced we would have to do IVF. We began meeting with Urologists who told us IVF was our only choice and my husband would have to have surgery to remove his sperm. We finally met with one doctor who was convinced my husband did not need surgery and there were other techniques that would work for us.

Soon after our wedding we decided to really start trying because we were unsure how long it would take for us to get pregnant. Well, 2 months later I had a “funny feeling” on Wednesday July 16th so I took a at-home pregnancy test and it came out positive. We were told we would have to wait 2 weeks before we could get an ultrasound. I began to have dreams of twins and on August 4th we went in for our first ultrasound and they saw two sacs one with a heartbeat and one without. We then had to wait another two weeks and we found out on August 18th that both sacs had heartbeats and our measuring on track.

Words cannot describe how we feel, overjoyed, thankful, scared, and nervous all in one. We are thankful that we have family and friends and with the help of this wonderful group of women there is no question in my mind that it can’t be done. I am prepared for good days and bad days but in the end we will be so thankful to have two beautiful babies. What once was a dream will soon be a reality.







No comments: