Friday, August 22, 2008

Two For the Price of One

I was 37 when I got married, had been diagnosed with horrible endometriosis a few years earlier and was down to one ovary, so we knew that conceiving was going to be difficult. We didn't even bother trying on our own--we went straight to a fertility clinic a month before our wedding (I had always wanted to be married for at least a year, preferably two, before trying but due to age and reproductive health issues that wasn't an option). We tried two rounds of clomid with IUIs but they both failed. Come to find out, my eggs were shot. Our options were adoption or donor eggs. I had an absolute insatiable desire to experience pregnancy and childbirth, so we went the donor egg route. 14 months after our wedding, I had two embryos transfered and on July 5th, 2007, a positive HPT! We were ecstatic! We had a beta the same day, so when the nurse called to confirm the news and said that my beta was 501, I thought to myself "that seems a little high--wonder what that means?" When I did a little research on the internet I learned that it could mean twins. When I went for a second beta two days later, the number had trippled. I pretty much knew it was twins but had to wait for my first ultrasound in a few more weeks to know for sure. Sure enough, two sacs appeared.



To be perfectly honest, I was overjoyed to be pregnant, but dissappointed that it was twins. My dream of a natural, med-free birth was out the window. But luckily, I carried to 38 weeks 1 day with no bedrest or complications other than horrible back pain. On February 28th, 2008, my beautiful, healthy girls arrived weighing 6 lbs. 13 oz and 5 lbs. 15 oz! They are now almost 6 months old and have brought more joy and happiness to our lives than I could have ever imagined!

No comments: