Monday, August 25, 2008

Uh...this is interesting.

I always had the gut feeling it would take me a long time to get pregnant. I did not expect to need a surgery in order to do it. In July 2007 after a year of trying I was diagnosed with a uterine septum. I underwent surgery in August 2007 and in November of that year after 18 cycles of trying, surgery, acupuncture, clomid and numerous other potions and prayers we were finally pregnant.

We turned to each other in shock at our first ultrasound after hearing our doctor say, "uh, this is interesting." I said, "twins?" He said, "no, triplets." I wish I would have had a camera to capture the look on my husband's face. Thankfully we were referred to a high risk doctor for the remainder of my pregnancy because my babies might not even be here today without her early intervention.

Unfortunately we lost our 3rd baby between 9-12 weeks. I went into preterm labor at 24 1/2 weeks due to a funneled cervix and was admitted to hospital bedrest. I was given steroids to mature my babies' lungs and drugs to stop the contractions. I made it to 26 weeks, 6 days before I had to call my husband crying to tell him not to go to work that morning because our babies were to be delivered that day. My little girl had succeeded in kicking out the rest of my cervix and her foot was stuck in the birth canal. On May 8, 2008 Marshall and Cecilia were born.

My husband and I spent our spring and summer going to the NICU everyday, if not twice a day. My son spent 54 days in the hospital and surprised all the doctors and nurses by coming home in record time. The next 35 days would be the hardest of my life. Leaving my daughter in the NICU was heartbreaking. There were nights driving home that I would scream at the top of my lungs in my car. It was the only way to release my frustration. My daughter was doing so well with the exception of feeding issues. She just wouldn't take her whole bottle during her feeds and that was keeping us from being a family.

We finally convinced the doctors that we would be able to tube feed her at home and she was better off with us. After 89 days in the hospital we became a complete family. We brought our daughter home on August 4th. It was the best and the scariest day of my life. We now had our twins home!

Since that day Marshall and Cecilia have been keeping us on our toes and up all night. My daughter was able to get rid of her feeding tube after almost two weeks of being home. And even though we are exhausted and we don't know what the future will bring due to my children's early arrival, my husband and I are delighted we finally have a family.

No comments: