Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Was that two heads?

Other than that it took us a while to get pregnant, my pregnancy began like every other uneventful single pregnancy. No morning sickness. Great heartbeat detected. Great first ultrasound. Fast forward to our level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks. We were elated because we were going to find out the gender of our baby and were actually giddy while the tech was getting ready. On came the screen, down went the wand, and I immediately saw two perfectly round white balls next to each other on the monitor. The tech shut the screen off and rapidly flipped through my file. I was about to have a heart attack thinking there was something wrong with the baby when my husband belted out "Was that two heads?" The tech put on the screen back on and said, "they didn't tell you were having twins?" I was in complete shock and didn't even say a word. Tears of joy and fear ran down my cheek. The tech could say that they were in one sack and looked to be girls but I had to see a perinatologist to finish the ultrasound. I had a great pregnancy the rest of the way and delivered identical twin girls via c-section at 37 weeks 1 day after an amnio deemed them ready. Megan Ann weighed in at 6 lb 1 oz and Claire Marie weighed 4 lb 14 oz. Neither girl need the NICU at all which I am so grateful for. They are now nine months old and into everything. It has been difficult at times but such an indescribable blessing.




* posted for Deb by beefsbride

No comments: